The Find - Cover

The Find

Copyright© 2019 by toms120

Chapter 1

The Find is an action/adventure story with mystery and rags to riches. Their fast pace adventure leads us to wonder “How” is this possible? You will see!

We were just finishing up a major project, just off Spain when we received a message from corporate about taking one of the ships and heading to Florida. Rumor had it that they had located a partial hull and some items that were dated to the 1600s. I called Corporate and made a suggestion for us to return, refit and resupply in case we were needed. They thought that was a great idea. We pulled away from the other boats and headed to the marina to get fuel, water and clean our tanks for the trip. I decided on using a four-man crew. As soon as they were done loading fuel we dropped the skiff in the water and sent Lou and Carl on their way, knowing they would be gone for three hours. Ron said he had filters to change and last-minute checks.

I asked Ron to turn off the Camera’s under the boat so Corporate wouldn’t see me diving alone. We had moved the Cat about 60 miles south and15 miles east so they would think we left. When I dive to fish I normally take a metal cage about 3x3 to put fish in. I picked up 2 Halibut,1cod, a snapper and had just lined up on a beautiful flounder about 6lbs. The fish was still alive but couldn’t get away. The head of the spear was below the surface so I grabbed the gill of the flounder and undid the shaft. The shaft fell inside the hole but I still had my fish. Putting the fish in the cage and locking it I could then find my shaft and head.

Upon further inspection, there were 4 inches of sand on the surface and it was a plain wood planking but thin. I removed my knife and started to take the top off. After the third board was removed I stopped This was a wood crate and there were 4 chests approximately 2ft x 2ft and a waterproof box 9”x8”x 20”

Time was getting short so I moved these to storage in the cat’s hull. I took the 2 wood scrolled boards also and put those with the chests in case the writing on them had anything to do with the chests.

It was getting late and they would be back. Packed the fish in the cage and took them to the surface only to find Ron waiting for the guys who were almost back. He helped me with the fish and the guys showed up.

Before we go any further I would like to clear up some information about the boat crew and what we do. The boat is a 90 ft. steel hull catamaran 3 stories tall. This is not your pretty fiberglass boat, it has 2 motors, holds 7000 gallons of fuel, a 25,000 lb. crane and can store a 2 seat helo if necessary. The skiff sits on the rear inside of the deck area. It has 2 mini-subs and state of the art electronics.

Lou Taylor has been with us for the shortest time. He is a mate and a great worker. Ron Parker, ships mechanic and operates the subs and has been with us for many years. He and Carl Adams started at about the same time. Carl is my first mate and I don’t know what I would do without him. As for myself, I am Marty Hoffman, Captain of this ship forever and Captain for 22 years.

For many years our company took care of us but not so much anymore. We make the company money because of the crew and how we work, if things changed on board this boat would be sold off and we replaced.

It will take us about 7 days to get across if the weather holds out. With 3 drivers we can do it with no problems. I am hoping for calm seas and good weather. We will contact the Coast Guard and give them the heading.


Traveling for 4 days, Ron and Carl both said we would be in Boston 3 days from now. I needed to start planning what to do with the chests in storage below. With a plan starting to develop in my mind, Eric a good friend of mine has a cuddy cabin boat that could take care of them. Calling him on my Satellite phone I left a message for him to call me tonight around 5:30 and ask me to watch his boat. It worked out fine because he was going out of town and this way the boat wouldn’t be there for his nephew to use it. All good so far.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.