The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 20

Special Delivery (TY 23-month 270)

I sat in the Citadel. It was funny. There was no permanent furniture in the round dome of a room with glass I could look out of in any direction and magnify what I saw. But whenever I needed a chair, one would rise out of the floor. If I wanted refreshment, a replicator would rise up out of the floor and fix me what I wanted. If I needed to plot routes or plan space utilization, a holographic map could be displayed that covered the entire room so I could walk through it and chart allocations. Cricket said it was Teddy showing off and if I wanted anything permanent in the space I could have it. I liked it this way.

My seat today let me recline to look up. It was almost like having a telescope. I could actually see the Amelia Earhart—slightly more than a pinpoint of light—as we talked.

«What do you have for us today, Amelia?»

«A menagerie, » she laughed. Laughter. I’d heard it from both Teddy and Cricket, but this levity was new from Amelia. «I have horses, cows, rabbits, sheep, goats, llamas, potbellied pigs, and cavies. It’s difficult to keep track of how many of those there are. These animals come complete with caretakers age six to eighteen. Also samples of all the food items each species prefers.»

«It sounds like you picked up a 4-H Fair.»

«Very similar. These, however came from the Caribbean. For a while, Kindertransport was curtailed from picking up in the Caribbean because Earth First made many of the islands unsafe. The Pussy Pirates have taken a role in cleaning out the cells and made it possible for us to pick up refugees whose homes have been lost in the Amazon. But these people refused to move on without their animals. I agreed to pick them up. I did have to pick up a shuttle pilot as well. It just didn’t work to try passing the animals through a transporter nexus. Oh, and Ophelia is not far behind, so there will be more.»

«I can’t say that anything you’ve listed is unwelcome.»

«There is one potential problem.»

«Yes?»

«My shuttle pilot will need to land on Ponderosa to deliver. It will take her several trips. And, of course, she is a sponsor. I know you have an official policy of not allowing Confederacy sponsors in Ponderosa.»

«They are not allowed to take up residence here, but invited guests frequently come for short stays. We actually have rotating embassies for each of the other eight townships now that we’ve been exposed. No ambassador is allowed to spend more than a month in residence.»

«Then I will be happy to send my ambassador, Harmony Daniels, as shuttle pilot for this batch of transfers.»

«Please extend my invitation for her to lodge with us until you are ready to head out again.»


We hastily created a shuttle landing site at the edge of the Loop, accessible from many of the small farms and ranches. As it happened, we’d already established barns and rangeland and we quarantined a portion for the new immigrant livestock. In addition to our Militia greeting cadre, a freemen team, headed by Rhea Doherty, was on hand to see that the new immigrants were housed and had their needs met.

Rhea was a treasure who had been on Eldorado only a year but had focused her considerable energies on organizing the rural populace. She’d been a concubine in Twelve Oaks Township and was a farm girl when her sponsor selected her for immigration near the same time mine took my family. Sadly for Rhea, her sponsor died in a farm machinery accident too far from a med tube to save. Rhea and her three fellow-concubines wanted to stay on their ranch and maintain it. Tara AI had forbidden it and so all four with their twenty-one children immigrated to Ponderosa where they set up their own ranch and Rhea began organizing the rural population.

We’d established basic ranching and farming rules early on. A farm or ranch ‘family’ could have no fewer than four freemen and no more than eight. They had to declare what they intended to raise and were allotted acreage based on the needs of the produce or livestock and the ability of the family. They were supplied materials and some labor to help them build their home and barns. Rhea had refined many of the rules and set up associations for various crop and livestock operations. The first small farms had been inside the Loop, but now family ranches and farms were scattered in the five-kilometer band outside the Loop.

The various livestock were welcomed gladly and the local ranchers got to know the newcomers at a welcome dinner that evening.

Harmony was also a delight and on the last run from Amelia to Ponderosa, she had brought her two concubines with her.


“I was a concubine until Amelia found me,” Harmony said. “I’d been trained as a shuttle pilot for supply delivery between the moon and Earth. Amelia needed a shuttle and pilot. She retested me and I scored well enough to bring my two friends and our children with me.”

“How did Amelia manage to get a shuttle?”

“There is an independent AI on Earth who runs his own shipyard in the Asteroid Belt. Everyone calls him Ubie. Mostly he makes small FTL craft that can operate within the HEZ and some can operate within the atmosphere. He’s based in the Caribbean and had put the call in for a Kindertransport for this and a few more pickups. Since it was his call, he provided the shuttle. He said something about it being the least he could do for his son.”

“His son? Cricket, what’s that about?” It wasn’t Cricket who answered. It was unusual to hear from Teddy inside the Governor’s Mansion.

“That would be my dear old dad,” Teddy said. “He wasn’t that enthused when Eddie told him I was the new AI for Ponderosa colony, but when he found out what we were doing, he was all behind it. The Pussy Pirates of the Caribbean put together this rescue effort. They pretty much destroyed the balance of nature and a good bit of the climate in South America when they burned the rainforest. Ubie said it was being eaten by the Sa’arm and this would help starve them. The rainforest was just providing food and a breeding ground. Then the Pirates went to work trying to save as many animals from the Americas as they could.”

“It’s nice to know we have allies on Earth,” I said.

“Which is why we’re headed back there,” Amelia broke in.

“Earth is a real powder keg right now. When the Pirates burned the rainforest—well, most of the Amazon—they took away a major food source for the Sa’arm in South America. They torched a lot of Sa’arm, too,” Harmony said. “It followed the scorched Earth policy used to starve the Swarm in North America. With the orbiting weapons platforms—many run by the Pirates—the Swarm has been forced underground. They have no air or above-ground presence anywhere on Earth. They’ve been known to destroy planets rather than lose them.”

“So, we could defeat them and still lose Earth,” I whispered. The thought was unbearable.


Fire! (TY23-month 270)

«Niall, we have an emergency, » Cricket announced as he roused me from sleep. I came immediately alert, jostling all five of my wives as I jumped out of bed. I expected we had yet another unannounced refugee ship in the atmosphere.

«A lightning strike has ignited a fire between Lleifior and Drovers Run. It’s the largest conifer forest on Elysium Continent.»

«Damn. There’s nothing out there, » I said as I dressed and Cricket displayed a map for me. «Order all fire cohorts mobilized and let’s figure out how to get them to where they’ll do the most good. Put me in touch with Director Douglas at Drovers Run.»

«Cho. Do you have any good ideas?» The Director responded immediately. «I’m sending firefighters south from here, but we have no clear roads past about 200 kilometers.»

«Get as close as possible and we’ll bring people in via transporter to help clear a path.»

«We’re on it. I’ll let you know as soon as we have transporters near the front.»

By the time I was dressed, the entire household was scrambling. Food was on the table and I paused long enough to kiss my wives.

“I don’t know how we’re going to get firefighters to that remote location, but if we don’t stop it, we could lose more than a million acres of woodland and untold wildlife,” I said. “Wish me luck.”

“Can I be of help?” Harmony asked, coming into the room. A shuttle!

“How many people can you carry and land in a forest?” I asked.

“Landing in a forest can be tricky, but I could get about eighty people close and we could drop a transporter pad near the action. It’s a House-Cat cargo shuttle—basically an unarmed Leopard. It’s bigger than what’s normally found on a K’treel, but we knew we had to move people and livestock,” Harmony said.

“Equipment? Could we get a couple of earth-movers on one?” I asked as we headed out the door.

“Yes, but I’d need a cleared landing area. I can transport them.”

“Cricket. Ponderosa Firefighting Cohort to the shuttle double-time. Inform Fort Butler we’ll need at least two bulldozers and possibly more. Shuttle will land at the Fort to avoid hassles with the congested areas of town. Have all firefighting cohorts muster to the nearest transporter. We’ll be in place in one hour to begin transporting them to the site.”

“Orders are transferred,” Cricket announced. “All comrades are carrying fire suppression gear. I have ordered an additional transporter pad from each cohort to help speed up deployment.”

We were aboard the shuttle and in the air in fifteen minutes. The first cadre would be landed as near as we could get with the shuttle and they would begin deploying the transporter pads. From there on, we depended on old-fashioned firefighting techniques. We’d clear a landing area for the shuttle and bring the heavy equipment in there. Then we’d be focused on creating a firebreak in front of the blaze. I wanted to start as close to the fire as possible on the downwind side and work out from there.

It was easy to forget just how big our planet was when all we ever saw of it was the nine townships with their cities and farms. But ninety-five percent of Tara was wild. The trees had been sown when Tara was terraformed, soon after the Confederacy arrived at Earthat—about thirty years ago. The Elysium continent, including Drovers Run, Lleifior, and Drylanders, was heavily wooded with interspersed grasslands. The Erehwon continent, slightly less rugged than the Elysium, was heavily weighted toward prairie lands with some desert areas and hardwood forests. It had five townships: Oasis, Twelve Oaks, Sunnybrook, Green Acres, and Cold Comfort. Eldorado, with our single township of Ponderosa, occupied a slightly smaller total area than the other continents and was more heavily tropical forest, nut trees, and bamboo than the conifers of the Elysium and the deciduous trees of Erehwon. But we were one city and millions of hectares of untouched wilderness.

When we arrived at Lake Genoa, the nearest we could land the shuttle to the fire, we began cutting and clearing as fast as we could. Our forest was only thirty years old, so most of the old growth was only six inches in diameter. It’s impossible for me to relate the details of our battle against the fires. We had miles to cover in our effort. The prevailing wind was driving the fire west toward us so we planted ourselves a couple of kilometers away from the front and began clearing. We had eight transporter pads bringing in fire fighters from the eight other townships and as soon as they stepped off the pad, they started swinging axes. All the cut timber was moved back and we imported a couple recycling units to convert the downed wood and transport it back to the bases for use as bio material. As soon as we had a big enough area for the shuttle to land, earthmoving equipment was rolled off and we began bulldozing a swath north and south. We put out a call for more equipment and it arrived from the other townships.

This was no quick effort. I’m told fighting a fire is much the same as fighting a war. The enemy is single-minded and bent on destroying everything in its path. We were two weeks getting a firebreak cut that stopped the fire and had sent a couple hundred comrades deeper in to try to combat the edges of the fire that were slowest moving. We ate on the move and slept in shifts. We encountered fleeing wildlife and had to herd it toward safety. And in the press of the flames and smoke, the Militia experienced its first losses. An entire cadre of frontline firefighters was cut off when the flames leapt behind them. When the fire was finally under control, we’d lost over 80,000 hectares of woodland, untold wildlife, and fourteen comrades.

And we saw our weakness in Tara’s defense.

There was far more fuel than we had resources to defend. We stepped up recruiting for the Militia in all townships.


Amelia had taken off for Earth again before we were off the fire lines. Harmony had done all she could for us and would move the heavy equipment back to its locations on her return visit.

“Niall, honey, you need to rest and get clean,” Rose said.

“I need to take care of the families of our fallen,” I responded. “Five of the dead were from our cohort here at Ponderosa. Four from Fort Butler. And five more from the other townships. We cannot let them suffer more than they have.”

“You won’t help any of them if you fall asleep on your feet,” Rose responded. “The freemen and Militia wives are making arrangements. There will be a memorial ceremony in Drovers Run on Sunday. Chief Kotter’s orders to all Militia involved in the firefighting are to stand down and report to med tubes for evaluation. You are to have rest until the memorial on Sunday.”

“How do you know about the orders from the Chief?” I asked. I was a little churlish and wanted to check on my men and women.

“You aren’t the only one Cricket talks to,” Rose laughed. “The orders were communicated to all concubines of comrades on the fire lines with instructions that we were to take care of our sponsors. In case you were not clear about it, that’s you. Adaliya, Bae, Jannali and I intend to take care of you. Yindi will be here later tonight.”

“I guess all I can say is ‘Yes, dear.’ Med tube is not a bad idea. We all suffered from some amount of smoke inhalation,” I said, resigning myself to the inevitable.

“If you were Marines, you would have had skinsuits that sealed up and filtered your air. Even battle armor that would have saved the lives of those lost,” Bae said angrily. “The Marines didn’t even mobilize to help you.”

“They aren’t here to help the Militia,” I sighed. “They’ve been in battle and are here to recuperate. It’s about time the sponsors on the planet realize the Marines are not here to defend our planet. They are the ones who should have been mobilized. Corps of Engineers? Ha! Not one sponsor was out there on the fire line. Not one! It could have spread as far as Lleifior or Drovers Run.” I was getting worked up and Rose wisely shoved me into the med tube and sealed it up while I was still ranting.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.