The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 6: Concubines? (TY11-month 139)

“So, how are you going to go about selecting concubines?” Humphreys asked me. Damn! The whole concubine issue. I had no idea what I was doing. This was supposed to just be a friendly after-work drink.

“I thought I’d try to make an offer to my former sponsor to take my sister off his hands,” I said. “I kind of promised I’d ask for her.”

“You don’t sound enthused. Family obligations can be a bitch.”

“True. How did you choose your concubines? You’ve had them for nearly two years now. Everything work out fine?” I asked.

“Well, as they say, every family has its little ups and downs. So far, I’ve managed to avoid killing either of them.” She snickered at my shock. “The big problem with Militia comrades having concubines is the concubines know you didn’t score high enough to become a sponsor. So, they are just as good as you are. You have to work at creating an environment in which you accept each other for who you are. I might not have scored high enough to become a sponsor, but I did what was necessary to become one on this planet. They chose to stay slaves. The person in command is there because of her choices, not because of an alien’s personality quiz.”

“Not much respect for the CAP test, eh, Capo?”

“It tests for what the aliens need. They need soldiers who’ll face the Swarm, even if they die. Or maybe until they die. I came to Tara as a sex slave. I wasn’t pregnant yet when we got here and I went straight to the recruiting office to join up. It turned out my sponsor wasn’t the ‘face the enemy and die’ kind of guy, either. He’s a trade negotiator and was assigned here to figure out a commodities market.”

“I’ve never quite figured out why we were growing so much food when the Confederacy gave us replicators that make any food we want. Or they could. We had a bigger selection of meals on our ship than we have in the mess hall here. I get that we need organics to make food, but a whole planet devoted to it?” I had seen farm production from Amos’s viewpoint and to him it was just the same as it had been on Earth. He had a farm and the produce went to market. That was all he really cared about.

“Some newer research has shown that what you put into a replicator as raw materials affects what comes out as food,” Humphreys said.

“Well, we always knew the atomic structure had to be the same. You can’t make steel out of oxygen. You need biomass to manufacture foodstuffs.”

“Yeah, but the kind of biomass turns out to be significant. You can make a steak from the algae out there on Lake Genoa. But the flavor of the steak is better if you have animal protein in the replicator. Don’t ask me why. It’s something about the process. The nearer to the output the input is, the better the result.”

“So, if I put a good quality steak in the recycler, I should get a good quality steak out the replicator,” I laughed. “Makes sense to me. But it doesn’t help me choose concubines. I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“Try to get your sister. Your former owner probably has a stick up his butt about you leaving and won’t consider her unless you’ve got something to trade. Make sure you get the AI to guarantee a replacement in exchange for your sister. She’s an extra above his original allotment. They allow that when one comes of age in a family but can be sticky about guaranteeing a replacement for one. Take something else you can trade for her as well. If you get a good quality bull calf, for example, he might consider that a fair exchange for a concubine.”

“He’d go crazy for a horse, but it would take me years to accumulate something I could trade for one of those. It’s crazy to think about trading livestock for my sister. Or for any human.”

“It’s been done for thousands of years.”


Family Matters (TY11-month 139)

«I can help in your search for a concubine, Niall.»

«Cricket? I’m afraid I’m making a mess of it.»

«You asked the Drovers Run Base AI for help. Not the wisest course of action.»

«It said it had a matching program guaranteed to find me the best concubine on the planet. Ugh. What a disaster.»

«I have been working with it to revise its algorithms to consider more than mathematical scoring.»

«I hope it listens to your advice.»

«Will you?»

«You know me. Like all humans, I’ll listen to your advice and if I like it I’ll follow it.»

«That is a difficult characteristic of humans. So, let’s talk about concubines.»

«What do you advise?»

«You promised your sister.»

«How is Anne doing?» I asked. I really needed to act on that if I was ever going to. That was probably why I kept delaying making a concubine choice. Searching for a concubine meant I needed to deal with Amos.

«She delivered her second child and is complacent. She has accepted that this is what her life will be and her AI keeps nanites programmed to balance her moods as much as possible. She is stable.»

«Will you negotiate a trade for me? Figure out what I have that Amos would be interested in and approach his AI with the deal. I think a negotiation between the two of you would be more successful than having me approach him directly.»

«I will prepare a trade negotiation. I am happy to serve in this capacity.»

«Thank you, Cricket.»


«Niall, you have a call from your sister, Anne, » Cricket informed me. Hmm. I hadn’t been informed of any progress on acquiring her. The AIs were supposed to be working on it. I wondered if she was getting impatient. I closed the door to my office.

«Put her through.»

“Niall? Niall, please...” she broke down sobbing.

“I’m working on it, Anne. The computers are supposed to be negotiating with Amos,” I soothed her.

“No! Please! Withdraw your offer. Please!”

“What’s happening, Anne? I thought you wanted me to try to get you.”

“I did. But Amos ... He won’t let my children go with me. Please don’t take me away from my children!”

“What? That’s ridiculous. Children always go with the mother!” «Cricket, can he do that?»

«Yes, he can. Technically the dependents belong to the sponsor, not the mother. It is normally accepted that they would stay with the mother in most instances, but it is not a law.»

«Fuck!» “Anne, I’ll talk to Amos. There’s no reason for him to be such a hard ass about this. He doesn’t even like children.”

“I’ve borne two boys and he sees more and better farm labor from them, Niall. He just told me that if you asked, he’d release me in a heartbeat because I’m a slug in bed and on the farm. But he won’t let the children go. He said if you asked at all, he’d cut me off and send me to the Civil Service. Please, Niall. Please don’t make an offer.”

«Cricket, withdraw any offer and negotiation from the Radcliffe AI immediately.»

«It is done, Niall.»

“Anne, there won’t be an offer. Not if he’s going to act like that. I’ll try to work out some other way.” Like killing him. “Now calm down and tell me about everyone.”

“It’s ... I don’t know. Better, I guess. Or I’ve gotten used to it. I know the AI adjusts my nanites if I get into mood swings. I can feel them taking hold now to calm me down. Mostly Mom and Catherine take care of the outside chores and I take care of the children and the house. I love the children, Niall. It would kill me to be separated from them.”

“Nobody’s going to do that, sister. Don’t worry. One day, I’ll find a way to set you free—with the children. How is Mom doing?”

“Mom was always a hard worker. She’s adapted to her body better than I have. I think Amos would have switched my body back to something less bulky, but Catherine would have a fit. I don’t know if you remember or not, but when we first met her before we transported out, she was nothing great to look at. The mods didn’t change her size much. Just reshaped and made her stronger. But she had her father wrapped around her little finger. She still does and she doesn’t want anyone in the family to be prettier than she is. If I were to bet on a fight, though, I’d choose mother over Catherine. Mom is determined.”

“Well, I hope it doesn’t come to that. How about Bae?”

“Um ... I wanted to talk to you about her. She’s already declared that she’s leaving on her fourteenth birthday. Amos doesn’t care. He thinks she’d be too much work,” Anne said.

“Why would he think that? I mean, I guess I’m glad he does, but why?” I remembered Bae at almost eleven, before I left. She was tiny, but bright and sparkly. She was one of the few good things about the farm and I wished I could take her with me when I left.

“She hasn’t really matured,” Anne said softly.

“Well, she’s still a kid by Earth standards.”

“Yes, but she is by Confederacy standards as well. She just didn’t grow much after you left. She hasn’t hit puberty yet either.”

“Hasn’t the AI done something about it?”

“The AI holds that development through puberty should be natural and that there is nothing physically wrong with Bae. She’s not stunted. She’s just slow at developing.”

“Damn it. Is she coming here when she tests?”

“Yes, but I don’t think she’s ready for either the Militia or for a concubine’s life. You might need to defend her.”

That was just great. How could I defend a child who was legally an adult? I needed to have a long talk with Cricket.


Birthday Celebration (TY12-month 140)

«Happy birthday, Niall, » Cricket said when I sat down for breakfast.

«How time flies when you’re having fun, » I muttered. It was my seventeenth birthday. I idly wondered how the family was doing back at Twelve Oaks. I’d exchanged occasional letters with Bae and she was determined to test and join the Militia on her fourteenth birthday. That was coming up soon.

«You have been eligible to have concubines for a year now and other than the attempt to get Anne, have avoided the conversation. You cannot continue to do that. What are your plans for selecting concubines?» Cricket asked.

«Selecting... ? Oh, shit.»

«You are eligible for promotion and assignment to a permanent duty station as a deputy, but your desire to move to Drylanders could be adversely affected by your lack of concubines.»

«I haven’t heard a word about that in months. I guess my idea for a base in Drylanders got shelved. Well, I’ll plan a visit to Civil Service sometime this weekend.» I sighed heavily. I actually rather liked my life unencumbered by a family. Rika had been moved to Green Acres when she’d finished training, but we continued to get together a weekend or so each month. That satisfied all my physical needs and any emotional needs as well. I’d grown to love her for more than her tight and flexible body. Or her two lithe concubines. She was one of my star martial arts students and was pregnant with my first child. I still didn’t think we could stand living together, though. There were too many personality quirks to overcome.

«There is a concubine in Lleifior just assigned to the brothel. She has one dependent and was released by her former owner because ‘she talked back to him.’ I’ve assessed her personality, observed her behaviors, and delved into her CAP scores. I find she would be a very good match for you in both temperament and personality.»

«Name, age, and other important characteristics?»

«Her name is Rose Flanigan. She is thirty-one years old and has been on Tara for five years. The child she brought with her as a dependent has tested as a sponsor and has left the planet to join the Navy. Concubine Flanigan has good management aptitude and mothering characteristics. She would make an excellent chief concubine. I’m sure you must realize, your sister would have been a compliant and grateful concubine, but she has been beaten down too much to ever be the chief of your household.»

«Okay. I guess I should go meet her this weekend. Make an appointment, please.»

«Affirmative. In the meantime, Foreman Hodges has inquired as to whether you would like company for your birthday celebration this evening. I detect she is quite taken with you and would provide a pleasant diversion.»

«I managed to convince myself there was no conflict of reporting order with Rika because she transferred to Deputy Kramer’s chain of command. Foreman Hodges reports directly to me. Isn’t there some kind of service rule about having a relationship with a direct report? Fraternization?»

«Confederacy Marines and Navy pay lip service to that very Earth-like philosophy, but no such rule has been established for the Tara Planetary Militia and AIs do not see the necessity for one.»

«Great. Connect me to Valerie so I can invite her over for dinner tonight.»

Dinner was delicious. And so was Valerie.


Choosing a Partner (TY12-month 140)

“Miss Flanigan, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” I said with a bow when I came to her door. From my own experience, I doubted brothel clients normally arrived with a flower and a polite greeting. We tended to be crude.

“Officer Cho, the pleasure is mine.” She invited me into her room, sparsely furnished and sporting a large bed where, I’m sure, most of her business was conducted. I recognized the door to the bathroom but had to inquire about the other door in the room. “That’s my son’s room. When I’m working, he is either in school or in dependent care here at The Maiden’s Arms. You needn’t worry. He’s in dependent care at the moment. We won’t be disturbed.”

“I hope you don’t mind, but I’m not ready to just jump in bed with you for a test drive. I’d like to get to know you. I’ve a dinner reservation for us at The Old Rectory.” She smiled and took my arm as we left her room.

“Don’t you think it’s a bit pretentious to have a restaurant that’s not yet five years old and was never part of any religious property be called The Old Rectory?” she laughed.

“Yes. Not that I would know a new rectory from an old one—or even what one was. I take it it’s some kind of English or Welsh thing,” I said.

“Yes. During down time, I do a lot of reading and decided knowing a little about where I am wouldn’t hurt me. Are you interested?” That was a thoughtful inquiry. Before she just launched into a dissertation about local history, she asked if I was interested. I definitely was.

“Yes. Tell me a bit about what you’ve learned.”

“Well, the townships on Tara are all named for fictional farms. Lleifior was a fictional farm in a couple of Welsh novels. So, the governor ‘suggested’ that businesses established in the township should maintain the fiction of being Welsh. I’m not actually sure if there are any Welshmen on the planet Tara, but the AIs do some limited research, even though they don’t really see a difference between England and Wales since they are all of one government. Hence, The Maiden’s Arms was a pub in an episode of an old television drama set in Oxford. The Old Rectory, however, was an inn in Glen Conwy, Wales.”

“I feel better prepared to have dinner there,” I said. “Do you suppose we’ll have to order a Welsh Rarebit?” She laughed.

“Not a very elegant dish to serve on your first date.”

“Ah, yes. It is our first date. So far, I’m hoping there will be a second.”

“So far, me too. I’m sure we can order anything in the replicator,” she said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.