Variation on a Theme, Book 2 - Cover

Variation on a Theme, Book 2

Copyright© 2021 by Grey Wolf

Chapter 101: School Board Showdown

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 101: School Board Showdown - It's been just over a year since Steve found himself 14 again, with a sister he never had and a life open to possibilities. A year filled with change, love, loss, happiness, heartache, friends, family, challenges, and success. Sophomore year brings new friends, new romances, new challenges. What surprises and adventures await Steve and Angie and their friends?

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   ft/ft   Mult   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   School   DoOver   Spanking   Oriental Female   Anal Sex   Cream Pie   First   Masturbation   Oral Sex   Petting   Safe Sex   Slow  

Monday, May 31, 1982

 

Memorial Day can sometimes be a big holiday, Sometimes ... not so much. Soon enough it’d become the weekend where they released the biggest movies. There would be big sales at some stores — not Black Friday level, but big — as well as the usual picnics and such. Most people wouldn’t really remember what it really meant, but that’s true of most holidays in America.

In 1982? The biggest film of the weekend was ‘Rocky III’, which had some pedigree and would do okay, but was hardly one of the bigger blockbusters of this summer. Mom and Dad had no interest in seeing it, nor did Angie or I. Mom and Dad didn’t care about picnics or beach trips, especially with the big vacation coming.

So, they released us from family obligations beyond a family lunch at Brennerman’s — never something I’d turn down — and we were free to head to Mike’s.

Study group was pretty much just a big party. Something got into the girls, though, who — for whatever reason — wound up kissing all of the guys, including Cal and Andy, who seemed to enjoy it for the novelty of it, at least.

I love my friends.


Angie and I arrived at Pop’s around 4:50pm. Lizzie was already waiting, along with Jessica. Tom Myerson arrived a few minutes later, then Tony, who got there just a minute before 5pm.

“I think this is all of us,” Tom said. “I’m not surprised to see you here, Miss Marshall.” Angie blushed, but smiled. “Shall we?”

We headed in. Tom got us a table away from the crowd — easy enough, especially this early — and we quickly scanned the menu (which most of us knew by heart) and ordered.

“So, what does everyone think? Any important new ideas?”

“I’ve got one thing,” I said. “But I’d like to hold it for a bit.”

“Okay, Steve. Anyone else?”

Lizzie growled. “I’m not going without a fight. I know you’ll all fight for me, but two people on the School Board worry me.”

“We’re all behind you,” I said.

“And not like the Roman Senate was behind Caesar, either,” Jessica said. That got all of us chuckling.

“Thank you, Miss Lively, for lightening the mood!” Tom said, smiling. “I think this is simple, really. There’s no evidence for several of their claims. Where there is evidence, it runs contrary. I’ve been able to track down several people who were witnesses to the alleged events but aren’t associated with them. They’ve given me affidavits stating that the cheerleaders didn’t provoke Mr. Holmes, nor did Mr. Marshall provoke Mr. Palmer. I’m going to hold those at first. I’d like them to speak first and make claims that are contradicted by the facts. It’ll convey — properly — that they are less than truthful.”

“Which leaves Lizzie.”

“We have a few testimonials describing what a great student and role model she is. I think the School Board as a whole will be loath to take action against a student who’s going to Nationals in an academic extra-curricular, as well. But, as Miss Vinton said, some of them will see it as political.”

We all nodded. “I’m still worried they’ll try to split the baby,” Lizzie said. “Throw out the rest, and throw the protesters a bone.”

“Which is where the thing I had comes in.” Lizzie smiled. I was sure she knew where I was going. The others — except for Angie, of course — didn’t.

“I spoke to the pastor at my church Sunday. Some of you know I attend a rather conservative church.” That got a couple of raised eyebrows. “Not that I’m a true believer, but I pay attention, and Mom and Dad are true believers. Anyway, Dr. Ott is nobody’s liberal. However, he also believes strongly that matters of religion belong in church and that it’s dangerous for secular decision-makers to favor one religion over another. As he noted, others within our larger denomination take a very different view on homosexuality.”

“That ... is a very interesting tactic, Mr. Marshall.” Tom said, grinning. “That cuts them off if they try to bring religion into it.”

“It’s part of a bigger fight, really. This is just the first skirmish. They’ll keep coming. The more we fight on offense, attacking the very idea of deciding matters of public education using religious standards, the better off we’ll be down the road.”

“Verbal jiu jitsu. Take their strongest argument away from them by having someone of impeccable character advocate against it. Very, very good thinking. Though we’re lucky you know of a pastor with those principles.”

“We are indeed. Very lucky,” I said. Considering I knew it based on sermons that Dr. Ott hadn’t written yet, very lucky indeed.

Lizzie smiled. “Thanks, Steve! I’m sure I won’t agree with your pastor on a lot of things, but he sounds like someone I can respect. Honestly, if religious people would just butt out of the affairs of people who don’t enter their churches, we’d all be better off. Well ... I don’t mean charity or anything like that, nor even asking those who receive charity to follow some rules. But, aside from that, live and let live.”

“Amen!” That got another round of laughter.

“So,” Tom said. “I think we have a plan. Let’s get there about half an hour early. I believe this will be a very well-attended meeting and we’ll want to be prompt and seated up front.”

Everyone agreed, so, that was that. Tomorrow we’d see how the School Board handled this.


Tuesday, June 1, 1982

 

I was too preoccupied to do all that much. I read some of my book, played a bit on the computer, and — for only the third or fourth time ever — attempted to work a bit on learning how to play Angie’s piano. She agreed that her tutoring me might not be the best idea, so I worked from a workbook. I wouldn’t learn anything serious from it, but computer piano-tutor programs were years in the future and I wasn’t about to add piano lessons to my schedule. Though, if I could talk Mikayla into giving lessons ... but that might be a bad idea for the same reason that Angie was.

We arrived at the Spring Branch ISD offices even earlier than we’d planned, making it in the door at 6pm. The School Board’s meeting chamber was closed and dark, not yet open. We hung out in the lobby as first Lizzie, then Jessica, then Tom, and then Tony appeared. Others appeared, until it was nearly a Study Group meeting, along with a goodly percentage of Debate, Drama, and Cheerleading.

Jasmine arrived about 6:20pm, greeting me with a hug and kiss. I got kisses from Camille, too, and a handshake from Francis. They turned to Mom and Dad and started chattering away. My girlfriend’s parents talking to my parents was a scenario that once would’ve scared me, particularly earlier this spring, but not now. I was glad they all liked each other.

We weren’t the only ones, of course. James Palmer was there, and Randy Holmes. They were obviously not together. Cindy Baird and what must have been her parents arrived, along with a man in a suit who I guessed must have been her minister.

Dr. Ott arrived, in full clerical attire — dress robes and all — around 6:30pm. He made a beeline for us, shaking hands with Dad and then with me. “Thank you again for inviting me, Steve. This will be interesting. Might I ask you to introduce me to Miss Vinton?”

I gestured to Lizzie, who came over, putting on a smile that looked — and probably was — genuine enough. “Lizzie, this is Dr. Ott, the senior pastor at my church. Dr. Ott, Lizzie Vinton.”

They shook hands. Dr. Ott asked if they might talk a bit, she agreed, and they stepped aside. From a distance, it looked amiable enough. I could see a lack of agreement, occasionally, but no animosity. Lizzie came back, gave me one of her increasingly common hugs, then stepped over to talk to Tom Myerson.

Dr. Ott pulled me aside. “A formidable girl, your Miss Vinton.” He smiled. “We disagree on her ... life choices ... but I have no qualms about her character as befits someone in a service role in a public school. None at all. You have interesting friends, and I, for one, think that is a good thing.” He smiled, shook my hand again, then stepped aside.

I could see a frown on Cindy’s face as she conferred with the man who I guessed was her minister. I was pretty sure she didn’t like the idea of anyone religious being involved on our side. I hoped she’d continue to misjudge me. After all, that was something she excelled at.

At 6:45pm they opened the doors to the School Board’s chambers and we all filed in. Thanks to good planning, we grabbed close seats before our opposition could, getting some glares. I’m sure it rankled them that we had so many supporters. I also didn’t see any of the more conservative teachers. I guessed even people like Mrs. Higgins wouldn’t want to be involved in this sort of thing, or maybe they didn’t see how it could benefit them.

Promptly at 7pm a man in a suit stood. “Welcome, guests, to this meeting of the Spring Branch ISD School Board. I’m Cam Michaels, School Board President. Please respect our procedures and speak only in turn and when recognized. I know we have a few contentious issues on the agenda tonight. Now, will you all please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance?”

We all did, and stayed standing for the Texas Pledge of Allegiance, and for the invocation, delivered by a minister who I guessed wouldn’t support us on the subject of Lizzie, but who just asked God to bless the School Board with wisdom and intelligence, which seemed fair enough.

After that, we sat, and waited. The agenda was what it was, and it didn’t put the Memorial Student Council election at the top. There were budget issues, contracts to approve, commendations to award, and so forth. It wasn’t until 7:45pm when we reached the elections.

Cam Michaels read from the agenda. “Now, we have a combined protest on several matters related to the Memorial High School Student Council Election. Do those protesting have a single spokesperson?” He looked surprised to find that they did not, and asked each protesting student to speak and to ‘please keep it brief and only state facts.’

James Palmer, to his credit, mostly managed just that. He claimed I’d taunted him in the cafeteria. He also made the charges of poster tampering and unfair campaign assistance during classes.

Randy Holmes wasn’t quite so focused. He protested the cheerleaders and my speech. It was muddled, but he got his point across and didn’t insult anyone along the way, unlike the last time I’d seen him speak.

Cindy Baird was the worst. No surprise there. She claimed that neither I nor Lizzie were qualified to be on the Student Council because we were of unfit character and there was a morals clause. She was pretty vague on what might be wrong with my character, but of course, was up-front that Lizzie was a lesbian and that, in her opinion, that was disqualification enough.

Cam looked pained, honestly. I don’t think he wanted this in his lap at all. Two of the other board members — there were five in all — were nodding right along with Cindy, though. I’m pretty sure those were the ones to worry about.

Once they’d finished, he addressed the room again. “Do those named in these protests have a single spokesperson?”

Tom Myerson rose. “They do, Mr. Michaels.” The two I was worried about shook their heads.

“Hello, Tom. No surprise. You should introduce yourself, though.”

“Of course. I’m Tom Myerson. I teach several classes at Memorial, including AP/CLEP Government and Economics. I’m also one of the faculty advisors for a number of groups, and closely involved with Student Council and many of its committees.”

“Good enough. What do you have to say?”

Tom took out several pieces of paper. “I have here affidavits from a number of witnesses who disagree with all of the substantive allegations. Namely, they affirm that the cheerleaders did not bait Mr. Holmes, that Mr. Marshall did not bait Mr. Palmer, that no posters were damaged, that all of the work on posters for these candidates was done outside of class time, that Mr. Marshall did not attack Mr. Holmes in his speech, and so forth. We have a response to the morality charges as well. Both Ms. Vinton and Mr. Marshall are excellent students with perfect grades and none of their teachers from any year can point to any cases where they were disruptive or behaved improperly, save for Mr. Marshall’s unfortunate tendency towards warnings about PDAs — none of which have risen to disciplinary status, however.”

I did blush at that. I doubt it surprised Mom or Dad that I’d done some kissing at school, but it’s another matter to have it discussed with the School Board.

“Thank you, Tom. I have to say, I’m curious. Mr. Marshall?”

I hesitated than rose. “Sir?”

“You’re an accomplished speaker. You’re accused of improperly singling out Mr. Holmes, who wasn’t your opponent. Why are you relying on affidavits from others on this? Why not just read your speech and settle the matter?”

He was, I though, stifling a tiny smile. I wondered if someone had prepped him on the answer to that. If so, points to ... Tom, I suspected, strongly.

“Sir, one of my specialties is extemporaneous speaking — that is, preparing a speech on very short notice with no notes or time to memorize it word-for-word. I had no idea what the candidate order would be until just before we gave the speeches. My speech would have been quite different if the order was different. I know what I meant to say and I know what I believe I said, but I cannot give you the speech word-for-word. That said, I’m certain that what I said of relevance was this: that I had heard that one of the candidates was attacking another based on matters outside of Council qualifications, that they had been attacking the very nature of their office, and that they had expressed negative views that would encompass many Memorial students. I did not name the candidate, and what I said was that anyone who didn’t respect their office or show respect for all of the students wasn’t qualified for Student Council. I stand by those words. If anyone heard themselves in what I said, I believe that says much more about them than about me.”

Randy was clearly not going to be my friend anytime soon, and I might want to watch my back for a while, judging from his expression.

“Very good, Mr. Marshall. I understand that explanation. If others say that you didn’t name anyone, I will accept that, unless those protesting have countering affidavits?” He glanced at them. No one made any motion to present anything. “Very well. Does anyone wish to speak to any of these matters on behalf of those protesting?”

James looked sour. Not as sour as Randy, but enough. The only one smiling was Cindy, but it was a tight little smile, angry, nervous, or both.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.