Small Deaths - Cover

Small Deaths

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 14

I didn’t expect to be treated any differently than the men who had tried to kill me. I also didn’t expect to see anyone I knew, but a familiar voice called out. “Ral?” All of the officers had their weapons drawn and pointed in different directions, but this one lowered his weapon as he asked his question.

I nodded. “That’s me. Sergeant Brock?”

“Affirmative,” he said. “What’s the situation?”

“All clear, but you’ll need an ambulance and forensics.”

“Understood,” he said, and then he turned to the others. “Move in, but remain alert.”

No, I didn’t expect him to fully trust me. He was taking my word as advice, but following protocol. He was the same officer who taught the self-defense course I had taken. During that time, he found out I was working in the file room and we would chat about procedure. I thought it was all cool, but never imagined we would use those terms in the field. At least, not with him.

He approached me directly. “Are you hurt?”

I shook my head. “Shook up, but uninjured.”

He noticed Mr. Peach. “Who is this?”

“One of the men who tried to kill me,” I said. “There are two more inside.”

Brock turned to Mr. Peach. “On your feet.”

The man got up started blinking a lot and then focused on the Sergeant. Brock turned him around and handcuffed him while reading him his rights. When he was done, Mr. Peach looked past Brock at me. “I thought I would be permanently blind.”

I shook my head. “Nothing I can do is permanent, except self-healing.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “You fucker. You made me believe...”

“Okay, that’s enough,” said the Sergeant. “Let’s go.” And the officer led Mr. Peach away.

Another car pulled up and stopped next to the patrol cars. It had lights too, but in the grill and dash because the rest of the car was unmarked. The driver’s door opened and Detective Jennings climbed out. “What the hell happened here?” he asked no one in particular. Then he looked around and spotted me.

My ability to see auras was still active. I watched Jennings’ off-blue aura go through several reactions, including confusion, disgust, and anger. He allowed his anger to show on his face as he stomped toward me.

“I should have known you’d be involved in this!” he grunted. He looked around, spotted the Sergeant returning, and spat his orders. “Sergeant! I want him arrested. This was his doing. I don’t know how yet, but he’s at the center of this.”

Brock frowned and said, “Sir, I know Mr. Sutton. He was in my latest self-defense class. He’s been working in the file room at headquarters, and he’s taking classes in Criminal Justice. He didn’t cause this. He’s the victim.”

“Did I ask for your crap?” Jennings said. “No! I told you to arrest him. Now, that’s an order.”

Brock grimaced. “Make a note, Detective,” he said, “I’ll do this, but only under protest.”

“I got your note, Sergeant,” Jennings said as if the note were a joke.

Brock turned and stepped closer to me. Quietly, he asked me to turn and place my hands behind my back.

I did so. First, I didn’t want Brock in trouble. Jennings was an ass and I would be out soon enough, thanks to my lawyer. Second, I didn’t have the energy to fight off the police tonight.

Brock handcuffed me and read me my rights. At that point, I turned mute. If Jennings had questions for me, he would have to wait for my lawyer to show up. Besides I would enjoy pissing off Jennings more than my lawyer.

Brock patted my shoulder. “You can sit down for now.”

“No!” Jennings spat and stomped over to us. “Check him for weapons, Sergeant. You have no idea whether he’s carrying a loaded weapon or not, and I wouldn’t trust this boy any further than I could throw him.”

I hadn’t so much as bent my knees. Brock frowned again and simply stared at the detective. I decided to keep this ball rolling and turned my back to Brock to give him easier access.

He patted me down, checking everywhere I would think to hide a weapon. Then, He started feeling my bare arms. “I would hate for the detective to believe the boy may have something hidden under his skin.” Then he knelt, checking both of my legs and feet.

When Brock stood up again, he glared at Jennings. “Is that to your likin’?”

“It was thorough, Sergeant. Thank you,” he said. “Now, if you would be so kind as to escort the boy to my car and seat him in the back seat?”

There was a nervous glee in Jennings’ aura that I didn’t like. He probably planned on trying to hide me from my lawyer and grilling me into a confession.

Brock stared at Jennings for a moment, as if he didn’t recognize the Detective or something. Then he snorted and led me over to Jennings’ car.

I didn’t fight Brock. I went to the car and climbed in as directed.

Surprisingly, the car was clean and relatively comfortable. At least, it would be if I wasn’t wearing handcuffs.

Watching through the windows, I saw the forensics team arrive, followed by a pair of ambulances.

I spotted Lorraine. Her lollipop purple aura suggested animosity and a touch of fear. She was probably happy she hadn’t been here when things went down. Then she looked around as if looking for someone specific. It wasn’t long before she spotted me. Confusion filled her aura. She glanced around and then she headed my way with a large toolbox in hand.

She pulled open the door and knelt next to it. “You’re under arrest?”

I shrugged. “Jennings insisted on it.”

She rolled her eyes. “Oh, for...!” she stopped herself and focused. “What’s he charging you with?”

I shrugged again. “Not sure. He seems to believe that I was behind this.”

“And what?” she asked with a smirk, “You chose not to ask?”

I looked past her at the large hole in the wall. “I’m not completely guiltless.” And the vision of Mr. Mauve’s aura fading away ran through my head.

She studied my face and then glanced back at the motel. “So, who started this mess?”

“Three men. They tried stopping me on Cooper, but I got away. I drove for a while, making circles and doubling back a lot to lose them, but they tracked me here regardless.”

“That sounds like a classic case of self-defense.”

I thought about the weapon I made, how it easily cut through the bands that tied me up and pierced Mr. Mauve’s chest, bullet-proof vest, and all. I didn’t feel guiltless.

More cars arrived. Lorraine recognized one. “Stanfield’s here.”

I nodded but didn’t say anything.

“Damn! Who’s the blonde?” she said. “She’s chewing out Stanfield like a first-year cadet.”

If she didn’t know who had the rank to do that, then I wouldn’t either. However, I turned in my seat and looked. It was Ms. Frasier.

She wasn’t trying to hide her anger. I wasn’t sure what exactly she berated Lt. Stanford over, but he took it like a champ.

When she seemed done, Stanfield simply held an arm and pointed my way. Ms. Frasier looked and made a bee-line for the car I sat in.

Lorraine stood up. “Um, I think I should go,” she said and shot me a hopeful grin. Then she grabbed her tool kit and high-tailed it toward the motel room.

Ms. Frasier stopped next to the open car door. “What did she ask you?”

“Only about any injuries,” I said. Yes, I lied, but I wasn’t worried about Ms. Frasier going after Lorraine. She would focus on the officer who believed I should be arrested.

“Why are you sitting in the back of this car?” she asked.

I leaned over to show her the handcuffs and then said, “I’m under arrest. Detective Jennings believes this is all my fault.”

“Did he ask you any questions?”

I shook my head. “Oddly, no.”

She frowned. “Did any of the other officers ask you any questions?”

“Brock asked for my condition and the status of the situation,” I said. “I told him I was shaken but uninjured. The situation was clear, but he would need forensics and an ambulance.”

She frowned at me. “He didn’t ask what happened?”

I shook my head. “No, but I volunteered that the three men on the scene had attacked me.”

She looked like she was about to go chew someone out, but stopped herself. She studied me for a second and then closed the car door. She walked around to the other side, opened the other door, and climbed in. She didn’t close the door, but she pulled it close to closing to minimize the chances of us being overheard.

She pulled out a yellow pad of paper and said, “Now, tell me everything, and don’t leave out a single detail.”

I nodded and started with when I left the airport. I told her about how the men attempted to stop me on the road, my efforts to lose them, arriving at my apartment, my deductions, and the coming to the motel.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.