Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 34

Darras made his way from the forest’s edge and onto the road. He then merged with a group of villagers hauling carts to the town of Torgel with food for the castle. It was noticeable that Darras was ignored, as the group seemed intent on getting their business done and themselves away from Torgel.

It looks like the troops in and around the castle are forcibly recruiting anyone fit enough into their service, ’ Erren warned.

“Hopefully, the letter you gave me should protect me from that sort of silliness,” Darras murmured. “But, I’ll be on my guard anyway.”

It should; the letter marks you as an armourer, a skill exempt from recruitment.

“Not a trade I know that much about,” Darras chuckled.

I doubt you’ll be asked to demonstrate, ’ Erren giggled merrily.

Erren was correct; Darras showed the letter to the guard at the gate and, although waiting until someone who could read could be found, was eventually permitted entry.

Tolner, though not a bad-looking town, had a feeling of neglect and defeat about the place. “The vast majority of the people about were older men, with few women to be seen, and those primarily elderly. While there was no sign of starvation around the town, it was also evident that the people were living hand to mouth, relying on the local farmers to bring in what food they could spare.

My temple is seeing to the food distribution, ’ Erren explained. ‘So far, they’ve prevented it breaking down into chaos.

“I take it the bulk of the food goes to the knights?”

And the fighting men in the castle.

“Wonder why the shadow is still here; most of them fled,” Darras mused.

To prevent Torgel from surrendering, I think, ’ Erren replied. ‘My brother’s plans appear to be centred around trying to extend the war, not win it.

“Proper little Colanthus, isn’t he?” Darras chuckled.

Other than the leave no one standing fetish Colanthus has, yes.

“Wonder when he’ll crop up again?”

In the east, most likely.’ Erren replied thoughtfully.

“Guess we deal with his foolishness as and when we come up against it,” Darras shrugged, heading towards the castle gates.

We will; he’s not subtle at all.

Finding the castellan was easy enough, though catching him alone took a lot of effort and observation. This was made far easier by the utter lack of observation by the castle guards, who were not interested in anyone’s goings on, much preferring to dice as they sat at the gate. Finally, though, the man headed towards the jakes, and Darras followed him until he could rip the shadow from the unsuspecting man.

“Easier than I thought it would be,” Darras murmured, leaving an unconscious castellan behind.

Yes, I suspect Tolner will fall within days, ’ Erren agreed.

“And its Earl?”

Will be stripped of his title by Rigilo and the conclave of Nobles, same with Cranagh, Tremina, Trasgel, Mirrs and dal Verris, to name the more infamous of the Council.

“That might bother them, but I suspect they’ve stripped bare anything of worth in the lands they controlled,” Darras replied as he made his way through the castle gate, again ignored by the guards.

They have, ’ Erren agreed. ‘The past six months, they’ve systematically stripped their holdings of any portable wealth and destroyed key infrastructure.

“All to stop Rigilo coming after them any time soon?”

Partly, some of it is spite and revenge, ’ Erren replied. ‘Unfortunately for them, Rigilo and his advisors have stabilised the finances in the east, west and north, so rebuilding the south will not be too great a burden on the Kingdom.

“And then Fordell.”

Not for a few years, but yes, Fordell.

“Can they avoid famine?” Darras asked.

Yes, it never occurred to the Council to drive their people off the land, so some crops were planted, ’ Erren replied.

Darras reached the forest’s edge without incident and began making his way east, towards the capital. Other than being constantly observed by curious forest folk, he was undisturbed as the forest folk did not permit the entry of any Council-supporting forces within the forest.

“How will the mercenaries make their escape?” Darras asked during a break.

They are skirting around the forest’s edge and intend to cut through to Orcatia across the Rachtele, ’ Erren replied. ‘I doubt they’ll be attacked.

“Not worth the effort,” Darras nodded.

Not for the number of casualties the forces of Miront would take, ’ Erren agreed. ‘Their best are all heading south to deal with Tolner, Trasgel and Tremina or helping the rebuild of Cranagh.

“I suspect historians will be studying this war and scratching their heads at Rigilo winning without fighting a major battle,” Darras chuckled.

Your friend Jertin taught him well, plus Rigilo has a natural talent for the tasks he has before him.

“So, he’ll win the peace as well?”

With Callani at his side, yes, ’ Erren replied. ‘When you reach the city, you can invite them both to meet me; I’d like to meet them, and you did promise.

“Ah, so that’s the reason I’m heading there?”

Yes.

Darras took his time as he made his way to the city of Rachtelin, leaving the forest and heading down to join the main Kings Highway from Tremina to Rachtelin. On the way, he passed several groups of knights, all looking weary and many returning to the hamlets from whence they were summoned. Whilst certainly not as bad or disorganised as some retreating armies, the knights all had an air of defeat about them.

“So what happened?” Darras asked a tavern owner as he tried and failed to get a room for the night, though he was permitted to use the stables.

“The Kings Council did a runner and abandoned their armies to the mercies of the Prince ... I mean, new King,” the owner explained.

“They ran?” Darras replied, already knowing this.

“Aye, that they did, leaving many who loyally fought for them to wonder about the future.”

“Can’t imagine Rigilo will do much to them, if anything,” Darras shrugged. “So long as they swear fealty to him at a conclave.”

“Aye, you might be right, stranger,” the owner nodded. “Precious little harm they caused him.”

“Yes, he has no reason to hate them or strip them of titles, as far as I can tell,” Darras nodded thoughtfully. “Unless they have direct links to the Council itself.”

“True, though from what I’ve heard, any with such links fled ahead of the news anyway.”

The following morning, Darras set off early, though after handing over some healing potions to a harried healer looking after a few casualties, being transported to the town of Tresuth and the temple there.

“May Hallis bless you, merchant Darras,” Ligolny, the healer, said as he accepted the gift. “We’d have been lucky to make it without some succumbing to their wounds; now, we should make it in time.”

“It’s not the will of Erren or Hallis for anyone to suffer,” Darras nodded, accepting the thanks. “These men may have been on the losing side, but it does not make them any less in their eyes.”

“This is true, though many noted the most talented of the various artisans sided with the new King,” Ligolny replied.

“They had seen what the Council were doing and had no ties of fealty to it,” Darras explained. “Seems Rigilo proved their judgement sound.”

“Yes, despite the despair of defeat, there is no hatred, and the word is that Rigilo cares for his lands and the people in them.”

“Pretty much what I’ve heard, too,” Darras agreed. “May Erren, lady of light, bless you and sustain your charges.”

“May Hallis, lady of the healing spirit, protect you,” Ligolny replied.

The road was broad and well-maintained, so Darras made good time along it until finally, mounted archers accompanied by knights were observed, and so he knew he was in territory controlled by the King. Nor were there any signs of looting or destruction in the villages he passed, though there was scant food for sale, as the retreating knights and men at arms had requisitioned any excess.

That was deliberate, ’ Erren informed Darras. ‘The knight commanders kept their men in check out of fear of retribution by Rigilo.

“Sensible of them,” Darras nodded.

They feel utterly betrayed by the Council and its leadership.

“Understandable, though I take it that’s one of the things you wish to speak to Rigilo about?”

Yes, putting things right quickly needs to be a priority. Fordell is not my only concern.

“I understand, my love,” Darras nodded.

It was evening when Darras finally reached Rachtelin, finding the gates locked and guarded. However, there was an encampment outside the western entrance, so Darras went there and identified himself, being taken immediately to the command tent.

“Greetings, Sir Darras,” Count Balen, the son of the Earl of Miront, greeted him.

“A pleasure to be here,” Darras replied. “I take it the King has not entered the city?”

“Not yet; there will be a ceremonial parade entry tomorrow,” Balen replied. “The only forces in there are the men of Baron Montan, who are making a security sweep to prevent anything from happening to the King.”

“A possibility,” Darras nodded. “Though with the near extirpation of the Black Guild, not a serious threat.”

“I agree,” Balen nodded. “Though we are not taking any chances.”

“Very wise.”

“What brings you here, Sir Darras?” Balen asked. “Other than to witness the King’s triumph, naturally.”

“To extend an invite from Erren to the King and Queen to meet her,” Darras replied, seeing Balen start in surprise.

“Such an honour,” Balen breathed.

“The King deserves it,” Darras replied. “He kept to the rules of war as required in the book of Erren; this pleased her greatly.”

“I will ensure you see him as soon as possible.”

“My thanks,” Darras nodded.


Darras and Balen entered Rachtelin at dawn the following morning and made their way to the Royal Palace. However, there were few people about; there was no sense of hostility from any, simply a sense of relief.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.